There are times when you find your girlfriend sad, depressed or simply in a bad mood and you are at a loss for the right words. Stress, hormones, lack of sleep, miscommunication, mismatch of expectations are a few reasons that could have your girlfriend in a sad (or bad) mood.
When she is upset it is most important to show that you care by trying to cheer her up with love and thoughtful words. She will love you so much more knowing that you will go to any lengths to see her smile. You want to see her happy and smiling, but do not know what to say or do? Here are a few tips that will help you out:
- Say It with Flowers – girls love flowers. Whether it is a large bouquet or a single rose, flowers have the power to make her smile instantly. If you know her favorite flower, the gift will be even more effective.
- Say It with Chocolates – unless she told you she hates chocolates or is allergic, chocolates of any kind make a great choice for a feel-good gift. If you don’t know what her favorite is, play it safe and buy something that is popular and connected to love. Handmade and designer chocolate is a good choice.
- Cook Her Favorite Dish – cooking for the girl you love is a great way to say, “I love you.” Cook a romantic meal for two. Cooking is often described as one of the most seductive gifts you can offer your partner. Don’t worry if you don’t know to cook a five-course meal; just one (favorite) dish or the dessert will do, too.
- Take her out – if cooking is not your forte, take her out for a candle lit dinner somewhere nice. Expensive places are great, but to cheer her up, focus on the ambiance and quality of food. It should be relaxing, beautiful, cheery, and with the most amazing food.
- Dancing Therapy – nothing can be as relaxing as dancing with total abandon to your favorite music. Invite her to a discotheque or just dim the lights in your home to create an instant dancing room. Get her to dance to lose the tensions that have accumulated in her mind and body. Like workouts, which help produce feel-good hormones to improve the mood, hard dancing helps release stress and improve mood.
- Buy Her a Gift – girls love gifts of any kind. Choose something with sentimental value, something that she has talked about, liked sometime back, but could not buy for any reason. If you don’t have a clue about what she would like, a jewelry piece will always work wonders. This is a surefire way to cheer up a girl; all girls love jewelry. Other choices would be perfume, a scarf, a book, and so on. It need not be expensive, but it has to be something that she likes a lot if you want to bring a smile on her face.
- Take Her Out for Shopping – though this could end up with a (tiny) hole in your bank account, this is another surefire therapy to lift the mood of your girlfriend. Take her to places she likes to shop and tell her to choose something that will make her happy – and watch her smile!
- Organize A Movie Night for Her – girls love sentimental stuff and comedy. Organize a whole night of back-to-back movies that she loves. Try finding out her favorite stars and genre before you organize it.
- Offer Her Your Ear – ask her to tell you what is troubling her and give her your undivided attention. Give advice or offer help as per the situation. If it is something out of her purview, just reassure her you are in her corner, and whatever happens, you will be there for her. Sometimes, that’s all it takes to make her smile.
- Be Overly Affectionate – hug her, kiss her, tell her you love her, cuddle with her, make her feel special and loved. If she does not feel like talking about the problem, just sit with her and watch TV, or the sunset, or play cards, or anything she feels relaxed to do.
- Sponsor Her for A Spa – there is nothing more relaxing than a SPA and full body massage, especially when you are feeling low. Book her into a SPA of her choice and let her unwind her tensions there. This thoughtful gesture will definitely score big with her.
- Give Her a Massage – dim the lights, place vanilla and lavender aromatic candles in the room, play soft music in the room and give her a full body massage. It does not matter if you have no clue about massaging; just take a small bottle of pure coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, warm it up slightly, and then massage her body. The feeling is sublime, and she will feel relaxed quickly. This is best done around bed time, when she could slip into sleep if she chooses to, but you could do it any other time, as well.
- Give Her a Foot Massage – get her to sit comfortably, perhaps watch her favorite soap opera or a nice movie, give her a glass of red wine in hand, and offer her a foot massage. This is easier than the full body massage, but as effective in eliminating stress and negativity from the body and mind.
- Drag Her to A Laughter Class – laughing out loud is an excellent therapy for blues. This is a great way to cheer up your girlfriend, literally.
- Offer Her a Free “Romance” Coupon – put a smile on her face by offering her a self-signed coupon that allows her to order you do anything she wants. Tell her that the coupon has no bar to her wishes, but comes with limited validity of 24 hours. This may force her mind off her problem and bring a smile to her face.